George Melly, BBC Radio 4, 30.7.95, gave the following useful summary of many of the world's religions:
- Tao: Shit happens.
- Buddhism: The shit that happens is good.
- Hinduism: The shit that happens has always happened.
- Zen: What is the sound of shit happening?
- Jew: Why does the shit happen to me?
- Catholic: The shit happens because you deserve it.
- Protestant: Why doesn't the shit happen to someone else?
- Agnostic: Not sure there is such a thing as shit.
- Atheist: I don't believe in all that shit.
- Rasta: Let's smoke the shit !
Two responses from me:
- Why is Islam missing from that list? Was he scared? Even shit-scared?
- On a more serious note, the message of the Bible is rather different from all those (even from the Jew, Catholic and Protestant). It goes like this:
- The Living God: I'll clear up the shit for you, if you want me to.
Copyright (c) George Melly 1995 and Andrew Basden 1998.
Number of visitors to these pages since Jan 2002 is .